The Delta Plan covers the entire country, with a special focus on a number of Hotspots. These Hotspots are prototypical areas where similar characteristics and problems converge (such as flood vulnerabilities, water shortages, siltation constraints, etc.) and can be considered as exemplary for delta issues and strategy making. The selected Hotspots are:
- Mighty rivers and estuaries
- Coastal areas (Khulna, Barisal and Chittagong)
- Dhaka and other major urban areas
- Haor-areas in the North-East
- Drought prone areas in the North-West
- Barind Regions
- Chittagong Hill Tracts.