A project of the General Economics Division of the Bangladesh Planning Commission funded by the Government of the Netherlands
1. What is the Bangladesh Delta Plan 2100? The Bangladesh Delta Plan (BDP) 2100 is a long-term, holistic plan for water management in Bangladesh. Key elements of the delta planning process include the conduct of baseline studies, the outlining of a delta vision and scenarios, the creation of a delta framework for delta governance, the iterative selection of delta strategies, the formulation of an investment plan and a program for capacity building. The plan will find immediate applicability through a set of short-term no-regrets measures that has been worked out as input to the Bangladesh government’s 7th Five-Year Plan for 2016-2020.
2. Who initiated the Bangladesh Delta Plan 2100? The Bangladesh Delta Plan 2100 Formulation Project was initiated upon request of the Prime Minister of Bangladesh, Sheikh Hasina. The activities are being undertaken within the purview of a Memorandum of Understanding—signed May 2012—for continued collaboration on water management between Bangladesh and the Netherlands.
3. Why is the BDP 2100 relevant and necessary? Bangladesh is the largest deltaic floodplain in the world. Most of the country is dominated by rivers. The huge fertile delta is the basis of the nation’s economy. Water management and related infrastructure play a dominant role in the quality of life of the people of Bangladesh. The pressure on available water and land resources is already high and makes fresh water management, improvement of food production and flood protection urgent delta challenges. Climate change will further aggravate salinity intrusion, cause sea level rise, and is likely to increase the frequency and intensity of river floods, cyclones and regional droughts. These facts stress the importance of planning how to manage the country’s natural and economic resources to best face the challenges of the future.
4. What is the basic premise of the planning process? The Bangladesh Delta Plan will create a clear vision of the future in 2100. The plan will translate the vision for the future to the current situation; known as backcasting. Based on forecasting and backcasting, while engaging with a wide community of relevant stakeholders and professionals, it will be possible to design actions leading from the present day to the desired future. This way, short, medium and long-term projects are an integrated part of the ‘grand design’, instead of ‘trial and error’ actions only. Stakeholder participation is an important element of success in the development of the Delta Plan. The basic idea behind this participatory approach is the increasing degree of involvement and trust between parties and ownership on problems and solutions: sharing certain influence or power with other parties on different levels. Stakeholder participation will be done in several ways, one new innovative way are the Delta Ateliers. From Dutch experience, it is a useful interactive way for stakeholders to participate. The Touch-Table is part of the Delta Atelier approach, which is a digital table where all kinds of maps, including forecasts, can be shown.
5. Who is leading the formulation of the plan and why? Upon recommendation of the Prime Minister’s Office of the Government of Bangladesh, the project is being led by the General Economic Division (GED) of the Ministry of Planning. This Ministry of Planning is responsible for holistic long term planning at the national level, such as the BDP 2100. Being an umbrella plan it will interact with various other cross-cutting national and sectoral plans, both absorbing input as well as providing coordination and long term perspective. Being involved in the planning process will also build capacity within the Ministry of Planning to be able to implement the plan in the long run. All ministries related to Delta Plan topics are frequently consulted, and form every minister focal points are appointed to participate in the formulation of the Delta Plan.
6. Who is supporting the process? The technical assistance team consists of the Bangladeshi-Dutch consortium BanDuDeltAS (Bangladesh Dutch Delta Advisory Services) and the Bangladeshi research organization PRI (Policy Research Institute) The technical assistance team supports the Ministry of Planning in the formulation of the Bangladesh Delta Plan 2100. The BanDuDeltAs consortium includes: CEGIS, IWM, Mott MacDonald, Twynstra Gudde, Deltares, Wageningen UR, Ecorys, Witteveen + Bos, Climate Adaptation Services Foundation, Unesco IHE, Defacto.
7. What is the vision of the Bangladesh Delta Plan 2100? The formulated Delta Vision of the Bangladesh Delta Plan 2100, as included in the 7th Five-Year Plan (2016-2020) is to “[e]nsure long-term water and food security, economic growth and environmental sustainability while effectively coping with natural disasters, climate change, and other delta issues through robust, adaptive and integrated strategies, and equitable water governance.”
8. What are the key outcomes and outputs of the project? • Background reports on important delta issues and building of a common knowledge base by sharing those studies with all relevant stakeholders • Input for the 7th Five Year Plan to be prepared by the Ministry of Planning • A coordinated and transparent institutional Delta Framework • An implementation strategy and guideline for the coming 5 to 10 years • A Bangladesh Delta Plan 2100 Document • A firm commitment from all stakeholders and partners for the BDP2100 formulation and implementation process
9. What are the key themes of the Delta Plan? • Management of Water Resources, Coasts and Rivers • Drinking Water Supply & Sanitation • Agriculture and Food Production • Disaster Management • Climate Change • Management of environmental/ natural resources • Socio Economic Analysis and Scenarios/ Modelling • Land Use and Spatial Planning • Economic Development and Governance
10. Is there a place for you in the planning process? In order to make this endeavor successful we need your active participation and support. The BDP 2100 team therefore invites you to share your ideas, views and suggestions. (Find us here)